Monday, July 24, 2006

Sad

Saturday afternoon I recieved a call from my buddy Jeff. This was not a good phone call. Two of my friends from Columbia were in a car accident early Saturday morning, around 6am. They were on their way to the airport when they were hit head-on by a drunk driver, who had come out of a weigh station going the wrong way on I-70.

My friend Tyler died and my other friend Chad was hospitalized, but released. It's awful. I almost thought it inscensative to blog about this, but anyone who reads this can pray for the Downey family, and for Chad and his family, and all of their friends too. Also, the 19 year old intoxicated driver survived, but his 18 year old intoxicated passenger did not. Their families need prayer, as does this young man who has made terrible mistakes.

Tyler's funeral is Saturday in Columbia. There's lots of things people say at times like this. Things that are obligatory, things that maybe make some people feel better. But I don't think a lot of those things are true; God did not have a purpose in "taking Tyler" a couple of kids got wasted and killed Tyler. Whatever God's plan for his people after we leave our Earthly bodies is, Tyler *is* a part of that now...but I wish he was still here on Earth and could be in that better place later. There is no reason for his death, other than the fallen, sinful nature of man. Lots of my friends are very sad, mourning the death of someone who loved God and loved people.

It is comforting to see communities of faith embrace the memory of Tyler, and even those who did not know him embracing those that did. It is comforting that we know how the story ends- that Christ died for Tyler and he's in his hands now.

Sad, confused, angry, and out of things to say.

No comments: