Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Christian Music

So this article was on relevantmagazine.com today.

Mute Math, a band which I thouroughly (sp?) enjoy and have seen live twice is filing suit with Warner Bros. over which label they've been placed on. Paul Meaney, MuteMath's founder/keyboardist/writer/vocalist asserts that the "Word" label is "overtly Christian". I don't know a whole lot about the music biz, but i'm assuming what label you're on affects your distribution and definately marketing strategy.

I do know a little about Christianity and a little about music. I know that Mute Math writes and performs some of the most innovative music i've ever heard, some of the best music i've ever heard. I also know that this debate will piss off everyone: Christians who only listen to Christian music and um, non-Christians who automatically can't stand any "christian" music.

Thing is, most "christian" music is for Christians. I think Mute Math is saying their music is for both Christian and non-Christian audiences. I think they don't want to be pidgeon-holed by being placed on the same label as worship bands. Go to http://www.wordrecords.com
Mute Math doesn't want to be on the same label as Amy Grant. Can you blame em?

I love David Crowder. But his music is for Christians. Shoot, now that I think about it Mute Math opened for Crowder, and that's how I found out about them...ironic. Anways, I shudder to think what some Christians will say about Mute Math "defecting" from faithful Christian record buyers, even if that who comprises their biggest fan-base right now.

No comments: