Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Empathy

"We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer."
-Dietrich Bonhoeffer
My friend Andy had this video up a couple weeks ago. Although there is a bit of a cheesy factor I think it has a great point.

We have no idea what most everyone around us is going through. None. Although choices people make are still right and wrong, we certainly can't just make assumptions and assume that everyone starts with the same clean slate. I love this quote and am trying to let it sink into my life and how I think about people; because so many are hurting, lonely, insecure, scarred, or struggling with addiction. My prayer is for the church to be "a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints".

No comments: