Friday, May 16, 2008

"I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It"

For a long time I thought things like Focus on the Family's Plugged In were for up tight folks. Consider this line from the "Iron Man" movie review: "He shows very little regard for traffic laws or public airspace." GUYS, COME ON.

But maybe the efforts of Plugged In and other groups like them aren't so bad. I used to roll my eyes at the fundy's who insulated themselves from everything except Michael W. But the more I listen to the radio the closer I get to old-fashioned-ness. It's a terrible feeling, but we'll get into that later. But let us look at a couple parts of the song "I Kissed A Girl" by Katy Perry. The song is currently #35 on the Billboard Top 100 and number 18 on iTunes top singles. If you'd like to hear/see the song, here is the video link.
Verse 1:
This was never the way I planned | Not my intention
I got so brave, drink in hand | Lost my discretion
It's not what, I'm used to | Just wanna try you on
I'm curious for you | Caught my attention

Chorus:
I kissed a girl and I liked it | The taste of her cherry chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it | I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong | It felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight | I kissed a girl and I liked it I liked it

Verse 2:
No, I don't even know your name | It doesn't matter
Your my experimental game | Just human nature
It's not what, good girls do |Not how they should behave
My head gets so confused | Hard to obey
This is playing on the radio. A lot. I will have middle schoolers who will know all the words to this, I guarantee it. I can't decide if the worst part is getting drunk and excusing your actions, the actual kissing of another girl, or treating said girl as an object, an "experimental game".

This song, this album, this artist are all absolute garbage. I would link to her site, but I'm embarrassed because of some of the other content.

As I've said before navigating the waters of entertainment for me is tricky. Why do I find alcohol driven lesbian encounters offensive but not all the killing in Iron Man, which I thought was great? Arrrggg!!!!

Well, I just wanted to point out how terrible this song is to everyone. It communicates that people are objects and that you can just do whatever you feel like, especially if you're drinking, and that there are no consequences for whatever you happen to have done because of however you happened to be feeling.

This is not reality.

What do we do with this trash?

1 comment:

Professor RJ Gumby said...

The problem is that our culture does a great job of marginalizing people who point out the problems in songs like this. Instead of being able to have a discussion about this, teens will shout that they are being repressed. Sorry, but what does a teenager know about repression?

I also don't think this is an old versus young issue. It is a heard mentality that is tough to stop. I have the same problems trying to convince my son that all the things his skater culture point out to him as being "not cool" are actually good for him. He does not want to separate from the pack.

Ravi Zacharias calls the influence of music "level 2" philosophy. The artists and the musicians write the words that get into the heads of people who do not even know they are being subjected to a philosophy. Level 3 is where the prescriptive teaching comes in and that is very hard to do, especially when pop culture pushes things as this song does.

And the song stinks too. I will probably snap at the pool and yank the PA speakers out when they play it for the 8th time in 2 hours this summer.