Tuesday, February 21, 2006

It's Science Baby!

So, the whole creationism/intelligent design debate continues to evolve. (giggle)

This article talks about the Ohio school board voting to "eliminate a passage in the state's science standards that critics said opened the door to the teaching of intelligent design."

The article continues on to say "The Ohio Board of Education decided 11-4 to delete material encouraging students to seek evidence for and against evolution. The 2002 science standards say students should be able to "describe how scientists continue to investigate and critically analyze aspects of evolutionary theory." The standards include a disclaimer that they do not require the teaching of intelligent design.

To me there's lots of problems here. First of all, I believe in the "seperation of church and state". I like what the ACLU represents, dissent. I think a lot of those folks are nuts though. Anyways, I think that we're forgetting that PARENTS and CHURCH'S are also responsible for educating our children, not to mention the students themselves. By the time you get to high school Biology if you are just being spoonfed everything then you have a whole different set of problems.

Second problem: the politization (sp?) of this whole debate. It has come to represent essentially secular enlightenment thought vs. christian theological thought. The crazy lefty humanists are fighting back against the zealous right Christian biggots. Let's think about whats going on here: the folks in Ohio by my estimation are trying to get a back door into intelligent design, which i've read described as "creationism in a tuxedo". Kinda funny. But let's look at what the Ohio state board voted down one more time:

Curriculum in which students specifically are able to...describe how scientists continue to investigate and critically analyze aspects of evolutionary theory.

Isn't this statement AT THE HEART OF SCIENCE!?!?!??! Whats wrong with questioning a THEORY, not FACT or our concept of fact, a THEORY. What is wrong with critical analysis of evolutionary theory?

To me thats just as horrible as creationists dressing up theology in the classroom. So what the ACLU and other scientists are doing to me completely undermines the scientific principals that they feel are threatened by people who know don't know very much about science but can quote Genesis chapters 1-3.

To me, the whole thing is very simple. Evolutionary theory still can't answer why or how things got here. I believe in natural selection, in adaption, 'survival of the fittest'. Shoot, if I was an animal i'd be a gonner because I couldn't see anything.

But the Christian community cannot ignore science or treat it like an enemy. I think Christians have the ability to throw their hands up in the air and say they don't know all of the answers, but more importantly we don't need to.

The method of creation matters not, only the origin of the creator. (sounds like a quote, but I thought of it!!!)

I don't care how God created us. Doesn't matter to me, cause i'm sitting here typing either way. So I hope that people can realize that neither strict creationism or secular evolution can give us all the answers, nothing ever can no matter how many school boards approve this that or the other.

Peace.

No comments: